Facebook Messenger is an effective medium to communicate with family, friends, business associates and more to send photos, files, links, videos and other contents.
It is a convenient way to share data and information with specific contacts without making it public to everyone. But what happens when a valuable message accidentally gets deleted. Is there any way to retrieve them?
6 ways how to recover deleted messages on Facebook
Fortunately, there are some ways to recover precious chats and messages on Facebook. These methods don’t require special technical skills and are pretty straightforward and simple to follow.
Method #1: Ask the person
Probably the simplest way on how to recover a deleted Facebook message is just asking the individual you have been messaging for a copy of the conversation. It is quite obvious that there are at least 2 people involved in any communication on Facebook.
If one of them accidentally deleted the chat, the other one will probably still have it. In order to recover messages, you can contact the person with a request. Consider the following tips:
Ask if there’s still the text of your communication in his or her messenger account.
If the person you’ve been chatting has archived the message, then help him/her find the message.
Ask for a copy of all the messages or just the part you need.
In order to simplify the task, you can specify the time frame when the message that you need was sent.
Always be polite when asking for a favor.
Note: If this method is not an option. Then continue reading below.
Method #2: Unarchiving messages
First, you’ll have to ask yourself. Did you really deleted the conversation or just archived them. If it is the latter, then you’re saved. Archived messages are placed into a separate folder that is not displayed in your recent conversations area. You can easily retrieve archived messages.
- Step 1: Launch the Messenger App on your phone or tablet, make sure that you are logged in.
Step 2: Go to the search bar, type the name of the person or any specific phrase on your last conversation, look for the conversation that you think deleted.+
- Step 3: When you see the conversation, click on it, send another message to the recipient, this will unarchive the entire conversation.
Alternatively, you can do these steps:
- Launch the Messenger.
- Go to the Messages Tab.
- Click the “Gear” icon. This is the setting tab.
- Click on the “Archived Threads”. All archived message threads should be listed there.
- Click on the thread that you need and look for the message. Unfortunately, you can’t archive individual messages.
Method #3: Check it on your email
If you have all email notification enabled for your Facebook account, then you should receive copies of messages in your email inbox. You can check this by doing the following steps:
1. Click the “Menu” on the Facebook page.
2. Step 2: Click Settings.
3. Step 3: Click the Notifications tab
4. Click Email.
5. See if “All notifications, except the ones….” Box in the “What You’ll Receive” section is checked. If it is unchecked, then your messages were not backed up to your email address.
6. If your Facebook conversation threads were backed up, you can find them in your Email. If you can’t find the threads, try going to the Trash folder and look there. Take note that most email providers will delete emails after a specific time, so your Facebook messages may be gone.
Method #4: Download method
Fortunately, Facebook realizes the fact that accidental deleting of messages can happen. So, they have provided a direct way on how to recover permanently deleted messages on Facebook via the downloading method.
- Login to your Facebook account.
- Go to Settings.
- Click on Your Facebook Information.
- You will be directed to a page where you can download every bit of data, including every activity that you have done on your account, since the time that you’ve joined Facebook.
- Click “Download Your Information”. Select “View”
- Read what data will be downloaded. In addition, at the top of the page, you will find a format option for your download, including JSON and HTML.
- Make sure that the “Messages” is checked.
- Click on the “Create File” button.
- A small pop-up message will appear, stating how much time will be taken to gather all data and download it. Click the “download” option to continue the process.
- A download link will be sent to the email address that you use for your Facebook account. Click the “Download Your Information” link. This will take you to the download page of Facebook.
- Click “Download”.
- You may be asked for your password.
- Once the download is complete, it will be sent to the email address that you use for your account. Unzip the folder and find the “Index” file which contains all your Facebook Data.
- Choose “Messages”.
- Find your deleted Facebook messages.
Method #5: Restore deleted messages on Android devices via PC
Sometimes, Facebook Messenger saves a copy of your messages on your storage device. You can try finding your deleted messages on your Android device’s file explorer.
- Connect your phone to a computer.
- Locate your device.
- Go to Internal Storage or SD Card.
- Click on Android.
- Go to Data.
- Look for “com.facebook.orca”.
- Go to “cache” then “fb_temp”.
- Find your Facebook message threads with backups.
- You can start recovering the messages from Android devices via PC.
Method #6: Facebook Messenger recovery tool
If the above-mentioned methods were not that helpful, you can try using 3rd party apps that offer a fast way on how to recover deleted messages on Facebook messenger iPhone or Android.
A copy of your deleted Facebook messages might still be available on the physical memory of your phone or computer. And using third party recovery tools can help recover these messages.
If you use Firefox, the FB Chat History Manager might have stored your deleted messages. Take note, however, that most programs are useless and won’t help you return your conversations.
Most apps can’t find these deleted messages. So, you need to search for a good and reputable recovery tool to use. Know that the results may vary if you choose to try such apps.
Read more: how to recover deleted whatsapp messages
A note for the future: Backing up your messages
Backup messages via email
- Open Facebook and log in to your account.
- Click on the “Menu” icon that you will find at the top right corner of the page.
- Click Settings.
- Go to Notifications.
- Choose Email.
- Enable message backup. In the “What You’ll Receive” section, check on the box to the left of the “All notifications…”. This should ensure that all messages are copied to your email inbox. It should also enable email notifications for all other activities.
Backup messages the Facebook way
This backup method is the same method as the above download method to retrieve your deleted messages. Not only it provides you a way to recover deleted messages but it also allows you to create a backup copy of all your data, including your conversation with other users.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Go to Settings.
- Click Your Facebook Information.
- Download Your Information.
- Specify the Media quality, Export File Format, and Data Range.
- Click the “Create File” button.
- Download the data to your computer.
Manual backup of specific Facebook messages
Depending on the length of the specific message thread, manual back up can take several minutes. However, in most cases, the whole process won’t take more than 10 minutes.
Although this method seems too tedious, it is 100% reliable. You get all messages backed up instead of relying on the Facebook information backup systems that can sometimes omit a few messages.
- Log in to your Facebook account.
- Select the specific conversation that you want to back up.
- After selecting the thread, a conversation list of all your messages that you have exchanged with this contact will be displayed.
- Scroll upwards until you reach the start of the conversation thread. Depending on the number of messages that you exchanged with this individual, the upward scrolling can take a bit of time. The start of this conversation would be the message acknowledging that you and the specific contact are now connected to Messenger.
- Select the whole thread. Hold down the left button of the mouse and drag downwards. Note that Ctrl + A won’t work here.
- After selecting the whole thread, click the Copy option or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + C.
- Open a blank Word document and paste the content there.
Save this document on your PC as a backup. You can also choose to protect the document with a password to prevent unauthorized access.